Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Last Call For Summer Melons: Watermelon Dill Martini

Yes, you read that right. Dill in your martini!  Don't worry I promise you won't feel like you are drinking your garden or an over complicated craft cocktail.  This martini is super simple to make and can be made in a big batch for your Labor Day beach or backyard party.  The fresh watermelon juice is this cucumber dill infused vodka's prefect juicy, sweet companion.

Watermelon juice is a natural anti-inflammatory and great for sore muscles.  It is also super hydrating, full of antioxidants and helps with detoxing your kidneys.  So you see it's a detox on it's own and well, with my infused vodka, a retox!  Simple, fresh and  delicious!


I admit I'm trying to savor summer for as long as I can with this martini.  Don't get me wrong, I am a true pumpkin lover, forever a scarf wearer and love the warm aromas of a savory fall dish in my kitchen.  However, summer is where my heart belongs with the vibrant colors of it's fresh fruits and veggies.  Besides it's 95 degrees here and I don't see any signs of cooler weather coming our way soon.  So run and get the last of those watermelons, juice them up, and amp them up, with some lime, mint or infused vodka!


Watermelon Dill Martini

Ingredients:
6 ounces watermelon juice (see recipe below)
2 ounces cucumber dill infused vodka (see recipe below)
1/2 small lime, juiced 
Fresh dill sprig for garnish (optional)

Pour the watermelon juice, cucumber dill infused vodka and lime juice into an ice filled shaker.  Shake vigorously until chilled.  Pour the cocktail into a martini glass. Garnish with dill sprig if desired.  Makes 1 serving.



Watermelon Juice

Ingredients:
1 small seedless watermelon

Cut the watermelon in half and then each half into quarters.  Using a spoon scrape 4 of the 8 quarters into a blender.  Blend until liquefied.  Pour the watermelon juice into a large jar through a fine mesh sieve.  Repeat with the other 4 quarters of the watermelon.  Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to one week.  Makes about 4 cups.































Cucumber Dill Infused Vodka

Ingredients:
1/2 large cucumber, sliced
2-3 sprigs of fresh dill (you can substitute mint here)
3 cups vodka

Place all the ingredients into an airtight jar.  Seal tight and store at room temperature for 3 days.  Remove the cucumber and dill and discard.  Store the infused vodka in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.  

NOTE:  The cucumber dill infused vodka can also be used for a number of other cocktail including; a Bloody Mary, a straight up martini, or just add soda water and lemon! 






3 comments:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often. vodka watermelon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm super excited to make this tomorrow but I'm looking at the watermelon juice that's been in the fridge for two days. It has separated into 3 layers. Should I just shake it up before using? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did ennjoyed reading this content, great website with interesting material
    independent bottlers scotch

    ReplyDelete