Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Infused Oils

I am so excited to be back home so I can share with all of my readers about the amazing time I had in my hometown Hershey, PA with my family celebrating my cousin Challise, our beautiful bride-to-be.  I don't know if you remember awhile back I featured the wonderful couple by helping them "cope" with their wedding planning with some delicious Spring Time Cocktails.  Now, I am here again with this up and coming foodie couple (it's hard not to be in our family) and their bridal shower showing off the infused oils I created just for them.   
With the idea from my Aunt Christine, Challise's mom, each oil was specially made and created using my aunt's brilliant idea of taking their cultures and ethnicity's to create the infused oils used at their oil tasting and making bridal shower.  Challise is half Cambodian and half Norwegian.  So I came up with my favorite Asian flavors that our family uses frequently to create an Asian Lemongrass Oil and a Spicy Garlic Sesame Oil both which are wonderful for cooking.  As for her Norwegian side I went with cardamom, a spice that is often used in Norwegian baking, creating a sweet oil perfect for dipping or salad dressings.  Her fiancee Zach is from European decent including English, German and Irish.  Creating a European Herbed Oil infused with fresh oregano and thyme made a perfect bread dipping oil for everyone to enjoy.

Challise and Zach (and their pup Mumford) showing off their new aprons written on with words of love and advice.
The day was lovely and Challise and Zach had a great time spending time with family and friends.  Everyone enjoyed the tasting and then creating their own infused oils to take home as favors to enjoy in the weeks to come.  Look out for recipes this month using the infused oils below!
That's me preparing the Spicy Garlic Asian Sesame Oil!  I garnished it with Hoisin Sauce and a fresh Thai chili pepper.

Norwegian Cardamom Oil

6-8 ounces olive oil
1 teaspoon green cardamom pods
1 vanilla bean, sliced open lengthwise
1 2-inch piece orange peel 

Place all ingredients in an airtight glass jar or bottle and allow to infuse for 2-4 weeks.  Store in a cool dark place.  Strain the oil discarding the vanilla bean, orange peel and cardamom pods.



Spicy Garlic Asian Sesame Oil

6-8 ounces sesame oil
1-2 fresh Thai chili peppers, sliced lengthwise
2-3 cloves garlic, smashed and sliced

Place all ingredients in an airtight glass jar or bottle and allow to infuse for 2-4 weeks.  Store in a cool dark place.  Strain the oil discarding the chili peppers, and garlic.



European Herbed Oil

6-8 ounces olive oil
1 teaspoon rainbow peppercorn (optional)
2-3 sprigs fresh oregano, gently bruise to release oils
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme, gently bruise to release oils

Place all ingredients in an airtight glass jar or bottle and allow to infuse for 2-4 weeks.  Store in a cool dark place.  Strain the oil discarding the peppercorns, oregano and thyme.



Asian Lemongrass Oil

6-8 ounces olive oil
1 teaspoon black peppercorn (optional)
1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 2 inch pieces and smashed

Place all ingredients in an airtight glass jar or bottle and allow to infuse for 2-4 weeks.  Store in a cool dark place.  Strain the oil discarding the peppercorns and lemongrass.









No comments:

Post a Comment